Thursday, October 10, 2019

journey into the past

I dont know why this post is in draft form..... There's nothing absurd about it for me to keep it as a secret. So today, I publish it once again. Btw,this post was first published on 8/7/2009.
vintage tv
tv was a luxury back in the 60's.
Somewhat similar tok ton’s tv set

I had tuned in into Radio gegar on astro.From pantai timur THR  Gegar could be heard even in the north. Switching to Astro 863,I enjoyed the songs and the simple yet  joyful note of the Djs.

How far we have progressed in terms of telecommunication.My earliest remembrance of the audio is the immediate neighbour’s radio.

Back in the 60’s where poverty is the order of the day,having a radio is  a luxury. So growing up we did not have a radio of our own.

At 4 or so in the afternoon,I would take a position on the stairs,craning my ears to the neighbour’s house.  Its bangsawan or sandiwara time on air! Its a regimented schedule. If the neighbour is in not in a joyful mood , the volume of the radio would be turned down , thus depriving us of the free airwave.How depressing!

Tvs made their first appearance in the 60’s in black and white.All the village children and the older folks would clamber on the varandah of the first owner of the tv set. Sometimes the owner was in a foul mood and would close the door .So no free tv folks.

A recollection of the programme: High Chapparel and a music programme featuring Azean Irdawaty in her youth.

The family soon had our own tv when sister and I started working when we pooled our money to buy a  BnW  tv for them. Sometimes in the 70’s.

I later learn to enjoy music when I bought my first record player. J Mizan , Ahmad Jais, Sharifah Aini, the Carpenters were among the artists that provide entertainment in time of loneliness – I was holed up in the outback of Selangor for my posting.
my first record player
Add caption
 
Record players were history when cassette players made their debut.I lost hold of the modern marvel of today. Ipod,Mp3 bluetooth,blackberry. Hey I cant seem to catch up.

By the way, somebody please enlighten me. Why Mp3 not 1 or 2?

1 comment:

  1. Reminiscing the good old days..my Arwah Aca (father) used to listen to the Carpenters and ya, we don't have our own radio until my sister started her 1st job after her SPM back in 1992.

    ReplyDelete